Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Trying a few new things

Today I got out my Lisa Pavelka waterslide transfers that I picked up from Hobby Lobby.  I hadn't used the transfers before, and I thought that just the ink transfered onto the clay, but it's actually the entire piece you cut out - just a clear 'skin'.  I sealed the transfers as indicated with liquid polymer clay, specifically Fimo, but I still can see the transfer 'skin' on the clay and that's not pleasing to me.  You can see this in the photo as well.
I can't remember where I saw it but somewhere online someone had posted how to sew on clay.  I think that this could really be developed into folk art themed beads, and I think I'll give that a shot in the future.  I'd like to take a round bead form and be able to sew patterns into them. 
Since sewing isn't a technique you can incorporate directly onto lampwork beads, this is a nice perk to using polymer clay.


2 comments: