Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dale Chihuly

These are photos I took of the some of the works of Chihuly in Columbus, Ohio at the Franklin Park Conservatory.  Mr. Chihuly has done amazing things with glass.  His name is somewhat controversial now as he is known to have an unpleasant demeanor with his team.  (Google: chihuly jerk for about 80,000 hits).    He also had a couple accidents in the late 70's so he stopped personally blowing glass leading to the constant debate whether or not his work is really "his" work.  My personal feelings is that while a conductor of an orchestra isn't actively creating sound, he is instrumental (pun intended) in translating the work on the page into the soundscape you appreciate in the concert hall.  If the conductor wrote the piece, all the better for him.  Chihuly is the conductor who writes the pieces.

There is also criticism about his work - is it art?  Or decoration?  Or crap?  I think it's a matter of personal taste.  I love glass so much that I am a bit biased.  But I also love the way that light shines through his work.  I haven't seen a piece I wouldn't bestow upon the title of: "Art".







No comments:

Post a Comment